Learn How to Play Drums for Beginners...
Today'sTIP: Slow it Down to Play Faster
Or Anyone ELSE that ever wants to learn a drum beat, fill, or phrase quickly-- Anyone?! I THOUGHT SO - hehe.. Read on.
Have you ever found yourself playing a beat or fill, and thought, Just try it again?
- While that's the GENERAL IDEA; that won't really get you where you want (or need) to be.
- First of all, if we're NOT playing it right- We're Learning it wrong.
- The main issue is Drumming is Muscle Memory which means by repetition of a movement- that movement is "Memorized" by our body.
- We generally want to practice at our BODY GROOVE which is fairly around our heart rate. So, to slow down, Just Feels Weird. *Yes and sometimes harder to do.
I started out at my drums: Just a regular day- warmup,
- I start playing a sticking that is fairly easy for me.
- I wanted to put a foot pattern under the hands (that by itself was also familiar and farily easy for me).
- But - it wasn't happening right away.
So, I backed the tempo, way down...
I realized as I started to do this = This IS the exact thing TO DO, That I tell my students or any class, of practically anything that "We can't yet do".
Today's DRUM TIP is; SLOW IT DOWN to LEARN IT FASTER
( I used myself- to prove to you, that, while it may take different times depending on the difficulty, and/or the familiarity to something you already know or can already play): This exercise WAS something I couldn't do right when I set out to add the feet to the hands right off. (Yes I can play a lot of other combinations- But the LESSON HERE is the SAME. (Have you Ever Heard?) SLOW and STEADY wins the race!
*a very POWERFUL TOOL in LEARNING TO PLAY THE DRUMS (Any instrument really); what I find to be one of the toughest things for us drummers to do.
Many times, while teaching students, I'll have to stop and remind them of this simple "TIP".
A lot of the time it's my beginners need a few more reminders, because they haven't learned to trust the process yet ; Yet, I find many players, myself included; Do well to take this advice.
Here's something I like to remember along with learning a fill, groove, etc. on the drums.
"Everything is playable- we just have find THAT speed, and start there".
About Now, you're saying- That's boring and "I'm outta Here"... But, check out this video just below__
Starting with Just a Single Stroke Roll - This was done to show SLOW to FAST to SLOW (Just take this process and stretch it out in your practicing rudiments).